Ellen Ramsey
Contemporary Tapestry

Blog: Musings on Textile Art

  1. An Experiment with AI

    2024-04-09 16:08:54 UTC
    My latest tapestry was designed using generative AI. I have mixed feelings about it. You probably will too Ellen Ramsey, “DALL-E 07.51.35,” 2024, mixed fibers, 32” x 32” I didn’t plan to design a tapestry using AI.  Most artists feel that any use of AI image generators is either “unethical…

  2. Craft in the Digital Age: The Danish Craft Biennial 2023

    2024-02-06 02:37:11 UTC
    The timing of my trip to Copenhagen last November allowed me to see the Danish Craft Biennial 2023. A draft of this post has been on my desktop for months. I finally found the time to finish what I started, so here goes… Copenhagen Contemporary I was expecting it to…

  3. 2023: Year in Review

    2023-12-27 18:59:21 UTC
    I saw a lot of inspiring art this year!   Here is my list of top 25 textile art inspirations for 2023 And here is my personal journey for 2023: Happy New Year everyone!  May all of your creative dreams come true. My heartfelt thanks to my followers. I really appreciate…

  4. A Visit with Kari Guddal

    2023-12-05 22:13:00 UTC
    Copenhagen based artist Kari Guddal is one of my all-time favorite tapestry weavers. I was first introduced to her work at the American Tapestry Biennial 4 in 2002. I was a newbie weaver at the time, just a dreamer really, and Kari’s tapestry diptych To Toner (Two Notes) absolutely blew…

  5. A Visit with Ulrikka Mokdad

    2023-11-28 18:24:44 UTC
    Copenhagen tapestry artist, Ulrikka Mokdad, may be familiar to many weavers who are active on Facebook. She has also exhibited in several American Tapestry Biennials, including the most recent ATB14.  She kindly agreed to meet me during my stay in Copenhagen.  Ulrikka wears many hats, you might say.  In addition…

  6. A Visit with Anet Brusgaard

    2023-11-21 18:25:00 UTC
    Last week, I was fortunate to travel with my husband on his business trip to Copenhagen. While he worked, I was able to connect with several Danish tapestry weavers whom I have admired for decades.  My initial contact was with Anet Brusgaard, whom I met in San Jose, California, at…

  7. No Longer Lost in the Metaverse

    2023-06-08 18:29:11 UTC
    Today’s blog post is in follow up to two of my previous posts: Lost in the Metaverse (January, 2022) and Mining Historic Textiles as a Route to the Future (March, 2020). That January 2022 post was primarily an excuse to show some work in progress photos and let you know…

  8. A Visit with Tapestry Artist Jennifer Sargent

    2023-04-17 23:22:00 UTC
    On a recent trip to Memphis, I had time to catch up with tapestry artist Jennifer Sargent. I had the pleasure of taking a workshop with Jennifer in 2022. I find her work very inspiring, especially her control over small and complex areas of open warps.  Jennifer Sargent, The Winter…

  9. IRL 2022

    2022-12-31 15:28:17 UTC
    2022 felt like coming out of a coma.  I returned to my traveling ways and saw many exhibitions featuring amazing textile art.  I blogged about a few of these exhibitions, but there was so much more that I was able to see this year. Here are my picks for the…

  10. The Hundertwasser Tapestries: Part 2

    2022-12-06 14:36:00 UTC
    My last post was Part 1 of my article about the Hundertwasser Tapestries. If you have not read that post yet, please go back and read the background story before continuing on The Austrian weaver Fritz Riedel established a Gobelin style tapestry studio in Mexico in 1968.* The studio wove…

Using Format